Tuesday 9 August 2011

24 Hour Diary.

9am Monday 8th August - 9am Tuesday 9th August.

Today was different. Probably because I had a guest. Normally I'd get out of bed at 7am, have  a shower, then slowly get changed and pack my things until about 8:15am. At that time, I would've been ready, and on my way to class. Today I was a little later than usual. Just by half an hour. As usual also, I skipped breakfast. Bad move. This would probably explain why my brain is so unproductive in the mornings.
I started my walk to the first class of the day - DESIGN. Today we were switching workshops. I was soooooo excited to be moving to the laser cutting department. Only because I saw how interesting a lot of the work was last week. But I was wrong. We weren't following the sheets which showed which groups we would be rotating too today. We instead moving to the groups we critted on Thursday - which were those in the Virtual World.
After a 1 hour lecture we all met in our groups to sort out our models. By 11am we were up in the labs on level 5, ready to be introduced to our new workshop. Judy started off by explaining what we would be doing over the next 2 weeks - which was to design reactive architecture. We then went onto to playing around with 3D max. This program was going to be our best friend for the next few weeks because it was 3D max that we  would be building our prims for second life. The one thing I enjoyed about this program was being able to create a series of blob like shapes - similar to those associated with Greig Lynn and his 'blob' architecture. Along the way we had to take screen shots to upload to our blog.
NOTE TO SELF: Upload those screen shots as soon as I find my flashdrive.
At 12pm I was out of the lab. The last thing I heard of Judy was that we had to read the two articles she handed out, and to have an idea to go over on Wednesday.
After using the ladies room my partner and I walked over to the Biology Building. I had an assignment due at 4pm and needed to drop it off. From there WALKED along Queen Street. We opted for the bus, but we both needed the exercise. As soon as we reached Queen Street, we made our way to the warehouse opposite Britomart. Along the way we stopped in a few shops, looked for the sale sign, when there was none,  we continued on to warehouse. As soon as we got to the warehouse, we did what we had to do. Swap the pair of jeans we had bought the day before. We were both hungry. The food court gave us so many options. I  craved Burger King, but later opted for a butter chicken combo. The meal came with a nan break and a cup of drink of our choice. Not exactly a healthy meal, but as my mum always said, "Good food makes you happy - no matter how unhealthy they are. And happiness is important."
After lunch, we rested up a little bit - allowed the food to digest a little, then made our way home through Queen Street. Again, we walked! It was 2pm and we needed to be home before 4pm. My mum was going to be home before 5pm to pick us up and take us to the airport. Along the way we stopped over at "Forte" - a dairy along Symonds Street. My partner was flying home in the evening and so we decided to buy some lollies for the family. After doing that we FINALLY made our way home.
As soon as we got home, we unpacked, and we both got ready (that meant shower and change) Then the fun part of the evening started. As we waited for my mum, we played DJ HERO on the x-box. At 5:45pm my mum finally arrived. She got stuck in traffic. We made our way for the airport. Unfortunately, she didn't know the city very well. I didn't either, so we had no choice but to go to the airport the way she came - which was the looooooooong way. The time was ticking. The longer I sat in the back seat, the more frustrated I got because we just getting too late, and my mum didn't seem to be worried about how slow she was driving. We reached Sylvia park at 6:15pm. We had to stop and fill up the car. The last thing I wanted to do was look at my time because I knew that we were already so late. To make matters worse, our car conked out at a roundabout. We were lucky to get it started before the queue behind us got any longer, and we continued our drive. Then just as we got onto the last road that would lead us to the airport, the car conked out again. It had overheated. At that moment, I knew we were screwed. I was lucky to have had an uncle living on that road. I  ran over to ask for his help. He kindly drove us to the airport but we were just too late. It was all just bad luck. My partner had to rebook his flight, and as we waited - find a reasonable explanation to give his boss in Rarotonga.
My uncle kindly dropped my mum off to her car while we waited at the airport for a friend to pick us up. By that time my mums car was okay to drive herself home. I decided to call a friend and offer to fill up their car and shout them dinner if they came to pick us up. They kindly accepted, but wouldn't let us buy them dinner. As we waited, we felt that it wasn't any use crying over what just happened. It was just unfortunate. So! We called Raro, told the family that he wasn't getting on a flight until the next morning, and decided that this would be one of many adventurous stories to tell the family!
About half an hour late, our ride arrived. We headed to Burger King for dinner, had a loooooooooong chat about the ups and downs of our day, and finally made our way home for the night. As soon as we got home, I called and booked a cab for 6am the following morning. His flight wasn't leaving until 9:30am, but I wasn't prepared to take any risks. It had been a long day. We were both tired. We said our prayer, switched on the heater, set the alarm for 5am, and slept :)
At 5am the alarm went off. My partner got ready and we both said our goodbyes before the taxi arrived at 5:45am. As soon as he left, I hopped into bed, and tried hard to go to sleep. COMPLETE FAIL. I finally fell asleep at 6:45am which was pointless because my alarm went off 15minutes later. I switched it off and reset the alarm for 8:30am. We didn't have class until 3pm, but I had a meeting at 10am so I couldn't sleep in even if I wanted to too. By 9am I had showered, got changed, and packed my stuff. I even had time to vacuum my floor! And then, I was off!

No comments:

Post a Comment