Thursday 4 August 2011

FINAL ANIMATION



Peer Reviews:
Group: 2 - Second Life.
Tutor: Judy and Ian.
Task:  Design a place for 'waking.'

Kyun Je Yoo (Matt) (http://brucekid.tumblr.com/)
I was impressed with Matt's idea of waking because he wasn't focused on the actual physical way of waking up. His design was based on the idea of waking up to realise that there was no sense of community - despite the amount of buildings surrounding the area.
The only sign of life within his site was a train track. So he decided to build  a bridge above the train track which connected two buildings together. I liked how he used a clip from the movie "August Rush" to demonstrate this sense of waking. In the clip, August was walking along the street. It looked as though he was thinking about where he was going, until he heard the sound of a train passing beneath his feet. He seemed frightened by the sound. At that moment, he was "awakened" to explore the different sounds around him. Matt applied this idea to his design. The sound from the train as it passes the track is intended to awaken people to the realisation of a sense of community.
I really liked how he took a very simple idea and turned it into something meaningful.
TIP: Build as many prims as you can. You'll soon realise that you can't build because the region is full.

Mirashini Chandra Mohan (http://miramo91.wordpress.com/)
Like Matt, Mirashini didn't have an actual building for her final design - which I liked. I thought that it looked sculptural, and the form of it was really interesting. I was critical about something. She said the form derived from the shape of a shell. I wasn't sure if I understood the relationship between the shell, and her idea of waking.
Her sculpture was based one the idea of 'confusion' when you wake up. When you wake up, you have two choices. Either to go through the day, or to go back to the bed. Her sculpture reperesented these choices. When you walk into the sculpture, to your left is a reactive spiral coloured to represent the idea of "going through the day", while the right is coloured to represent the idea of "going back to bed."I liked how she used the spiral to represent the idea of "confusion."

I liked how Lisa decided to make the building awaken like a lily in a pond. The only thing I was a bit skeptical about was the site in which the building was placed, and the size of the space of waking. I thought it was interesting that she wanted to bring an organic form to a dead and quiet city - I didn't like however, how it was in the middle of high rised buildings which blocked out sun entry, and made me feel claustrophobic. But in saying that, I thought that this tight space could awaken one to take notice of what is actually happening outside that structure.
She talked about how the bed you would wake up in would be comfortable. I liked how it was shaped sort of like a bean bag (and I think bean bags are very comfortable) BUT I wasn't comfortable about being enclosed in such a small space.
I noticed that the roof of the structure had patterns on it which would allow damples of light to cast interesting shadows onto the floor. I just thought that with all the high rise buildings standing outside the space, light entry was going to be a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment