Wednesday 10 August 2011

Thursday 11/08/11 - Desk Table Crit: Morphing Green House.

After speaking to Ian about my idea, I can now make a start. I am going to start with a square room or building and develop it into a building that responds by changing it's form according to a persons commands. Those commands will have reference to the four things needed to sustain a plant (sunlight, water, soil, and temperature), and the way in which the building responds, will sustain the person inside it.
For example:
Sunlight - DARK/LIGHT.When someone walks into the room, and it's too dark, they can say "light" and the building will change to allow sunlight entry. Likewise when someone says "dark" - the building will resume it's original shape and block out sunlight.
Water - Respond to rain???
Soil -
Temperature - HOT/COLD.If the person is cold, they can say "cold" and the building will morph into a blanket (I'll have to think about that one again actually) And when the person says "hot" the building could open up in some way to allow breeze entry.

HOW LIGHT WILL ENTER THE BUILDING:
To workout how my building should allow sunlight entry into the building, I started looking at how plants absorb sunlight for photosynthesis.


Chlorophyll-a is the most important photosensitive pigment for the photosynthesis process. It resides in the membranes of thylakoid disks of the chloroplasts. It is assisted by accessory pigments in the antenna arrays that absorb the light and direct the energy to chlorophyll-a pigment complexes. The accessory pigments broaden the wavelength range of the light absorption, but it is chlorophyll-a that accomplishes the final step of handing off energetic electrons in two photosystems called Photosystem I and Photosystem II. These energetic electrons accomplish the step of photophosphorylation to produce the vital energy currency, ATP, but in the non-cyclic electron transport which uses both photosystems, they also provide the energy for the synthesis of glucose and other carbohydrates.  (http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbasees/biology/chlorleaf.html)



I'm thinking that maybe I could represent the circle patches with coloured glass so that the room will look colourful on the inside. I had a look at the colours of the visible spectrum to give me an idea of what colours I can use for each glass circle.




When sunlight enters each glass, a different colour of light will shine through the room depending on what colour the glass is. I'm just wondering whether all the lights will combine on the inside of the room to produce white light (???)


My imagination of what the inside will sort of look like when different coloured lights enter and mix inside the room.

I was only able to build 3 prims when I tried to build my wall with glass circles. The region was full so I'm waiting on someone to help me find out how I can build more prims.
HOW THE BUILDING WILL OPEN UP TO ALLOW WIND?BREEZE ENTRY (to change temperature)



HOW THE BUILDING WILL RESPOND TO RAIN (???)


Building morphs. Shows how a plant deforms as they slowly start to die due to lack of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment